Me on Twitter

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Make Art

I know this is old news, but I'm posting it anyway.

I don't mean to be anti but generally I think award shows are silly, kinda fun, but silly. And how do you really say that this piece of art is better than that piece of art. How do you really say that this one particular movie is THE BEST MOVIE. Maybe what bothers me is the media portrayal of it, where it's like the other four movies, or performances lost. They didn't lose, they were also very good. Choosing a BEST from a bunch of VERY GOOD things is pretty subjective, and kind of silly, I think.

(Long aside here: This kind of reminds me how we look at sports, say the Olympics, in this skewed winning is everything way. Say you are in the Olympics, and you are expected to do very well, and you get a bronze medal. This is looked at as a failure, somehow. You got a bronze medal in the Olympics! You are the third best at something in the whole wide world! Of all the people, all the people everywhere, YOU are the third best at this thing. 3rd out of every human being. This is not failure. This is awesome. Hooray for you. You should be proud. You should be celebrated. So there pffft.)

So way back here I told you about the movie "Once." To review: it's great and wonderful and you should see it as soon as you can. It's about a pair of musicians and the actors, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglovain, it are actual musicians and wrote the music they performed.

One of their songs was nominated for an Oscar, and they played at the awards ceremony. I can't embed the video of their performance, but here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQvEOKZL2k

Then, they won the Oscar for best original song. Make sure and watch the whole clip because Marketa comes back to speak after the commercial break:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx8yLvb0gZM


That is the most inspiring thing I've ever seen.

Make art, Make art.

No comments: