Me on Twitter

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Gisele Kerozene

I used to be cooler.

Back in the day, when I lived in Boston and wore black all the time, my friends and I used to frequent the touring animation festivals. This is the dark ancient times before the internet and one of, if not the only, way you saw neat little cutting edge animation films was to see them at these festivals. Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted Animation Festival was a one opf the most popular ones. Some wildly funny, wildly sick stuff there. They also showcased things like the very early Simpsons cartoons from The Tracey Ullman Show and this was the first place I ever saw Beavis and Butt-head and learned of Mike Judge. There was often some Bill Plympton too.

These frequently played at The Coolidge Corner, a great independent movie theater in Brookline. It was an old movie palace, HUGE main screen, fraying gold leaf fringing around the edges, faded red plush everywhere. Great place.

One of the short films I remembered seeing was Gisele Kerozene. A wild stop motion live action fantasy thing. Funny. And totally cool. This just took my friends and my imagination by storm, we even tried to make our own version. (On Super 8 film. Remember Super 8? No you probably don't. ) It was crap, trust me. Most of what we made was crap.

Anyway, here is Gisele Kerozene. It's still cool. Enjoy:

No comments: